Providing mobility more than a business for O&P
Prosthetics and orthotics help clients get to better life
Although professional football's Super Bowl occurs just once a year, Jake Wood never goes a day without experiencing his version of the big game.
"My work allows me to live the Super Bowl on a daily basis," said the owner of Orthotics and Prosthetics Associates in Wauwatosa. "I'm blessed to provide comfort, hope, and improve the lives of my patients during their difficult time."
A board-certified prosthetist with more than 30 years' experience, Wood's O&P Associates designs and creates a wide range of custom, artificial limbs for amputees ranging from children to senior citizens.
While Wood said he attends a handful of continuing education classes a year to stay on the cutting edge of technological developments, no amount of classroom time can compensate, he believes, for O&P Associates' nurturing environment.
"There's a lot of humanistic care involved in our work that comes from the soul and can't be learned," said Wood, who, in recent years, helped launch an amputee treatment facility in Guatemala. "By being empathetic to patients' needs and posting inspirational quotes and pictures of people throughout our facility, who went through the same rehab process that they're undergoing, we try to help amputees overcome the fears that are the barriers to their recovery."
O&P Associates' patient-oriented practice is illustrated, Wood said, by the amount of time it devotes to their treatment. It's an investment he says extends the lifespan of the average artificial limb.
"The human body wasn't designed to walk on prosthetics, so we never rush someone past their comfort level," said Wood, who acquires business through referrals from surgeons and physical therapists and word of mouth from past patients. "Feet, knees, hands, etc., are ordered individually for each patient.
"Then we methodically educate patients on how to use and care for their artificial limbs and get them to trust in the rehabilitation process."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Orthotics and Prosthetics Associates
ADDRESS: 10506 W. Blue Mound Road
PHONE: (414) 257-2727
OWNER: Jake Wood
TYPE OF BUSINESS: orthotics and prosthetics treatment facility
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Every time a patient walks through our doors, we strive to treat the whole person."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Business Spotlight: The Lutheran Home & Harwood Place
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Business Spotlight: Running a remodeling company no strain in family-owned business
- Business Spotlight: The Malt Shoppe isn't selling milk shakes
- Midtown Dental Care is 'home-like' for new and long-term patients
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Gigi's satisfies even the biggest craving for cupcakes
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Business Spotlight: Milwaukee Map surveys the world from a small store near you
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight Yoga instructor practiced the art before it was all the rage
- Business Spotlight: Alfa Flower shop weathered some tough years, and has flourished in the economic
- The wheel of life keeps rolling at Johnson's bike store
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bridgetown Framing Gallery
- Wauwatosa's Harwood Hair makes styling about more than hair