With Baskin Robbins scooping ice cream on one side and Yo Mama serving up frozen yogurt on the other, the Root Common grassy triangle in the Village is becoming a sweet snack spot.
Nicole Breest believes it's time to add the salty. The New Berlin woman on Monday asked for permission to operate a popcorn wagon near the pine tree in the area.
She plans sell freshly popped popcorn, as well as prepackaged cheese and carmel corn, plus rootbeer and old-fashioned candy such as licorice ropes.
The commission unanimously supported the request, which will go to the Community Development Committee tonight.
"The Village is a part of my district and I think that's a lovely use that fits right in," said Alderwoman Kathleen Causier, who sits on the commission.
Before Breest can start selling, she needs to get an encroachment agreement from the Board of Public Works that allows her to operate in the city right of way. She also must find a power source - the outlets in the area are used for Christmas lights and probably don't have the power to supply the wagon.
She plans to sell from 4 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and from 3 to 8:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Breest would end her season on Halloween by giving out trick-or-treat bags.
There have been popcorn wagons in the Village in the past: one when Drew's Variety Store was operating and the other at the end of the Harwood pedestrian bridge.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (1)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (1)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11