A 42-year-old house painter, disgruntled at having just been fired, left his last job site with a good number of items stored in a garage there, according to a criminal complaint.
Benjamin Flores of Milwaukee was charged with felony theft in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on Friday. He is accused of taking $2,500 worth of items - ranging from a snow blower and lawn mower to a card table and lawn games - from a Wauwatosa family's garage.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man was fired because of an allegation of theft at another property. He was painting a garage in the 2200 block of North 68th Street at the time of the firing, and, believing the homeowners to be away, he pulled his truck into the garage and closed the door.
But one of the homeowners was home, feeling ill. She didn't answer when he range the bell, but went outside when she heard the suspicious activity.
She was in the alley when the man drove the truck, now filled with her belongings, out of her garage.
Undaunted, she accused him of thievery. He rebutted by saying his boss had said he could have anything in the garage.
She held her ground, saying that simply was not true. The man took a couple steps toward her, causing her to take a couple steps back.
He stopped, stared at her and jumped into his truck, careening toward her, she told police. She dove out of the way of the speeding vehicle, which she said went straight at her.
Flores took bike locks, a card table, six chairs, four tennis rackets, a cooler, lawn games, a snow blower and a lawn mower from the Tosa home. Loss is estimated at $2,545.
Wauwatosa police officers called Complete Painting, the company she had hired to paint the house. The owner answered and said that he had fired Flores right after he finished painting her house.
He had heard multiple accusations of theft against the man and confirmed a less-than-desired criminal past by looking through court documents, the report goes on to state.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)