Counterfeit money has been passed at Tosa businesses several times in the past few weeks, and the Wauwatosa Police Department has a description of the suspect.
According to police reports:
In the last week, a black man in his 20s or 30s with dreadlocks pulled into a ponytail passed counterfeit $100 bills at two Walgreen's stores in Wauwatosa. Store employees said he was wearing a dark-colored jacket, perhaps leather, a white sweater with thin blue horizontal stripes along the bottom, light color pants and white tennis shoes.
On Sunday, he purchased first aid tape for a little less than $5 with a $100 bill at the store on Mayfair Road and North Avenue. Suspicious, the clerk began to examine the money but the man said his grandmother gave him it so of course it was real. Feeling bad about doubting the man, the clerk let him go only to find out his instincts had been correct.
The fake $100 was really a washed out $5 bill.
The next day, a man matching the same description bought cigarettes at the Walgreen's on Wauwatosa Avenue, again with a phony $100 bill at 5:23 p.m. This time the paper had Abraham Lincoln on it and the $100 was printed in green ink.
The Menomonee Falls Police Department also took a report of a man with dreadlocks passing a counterfeit $100 in that community.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local developer sees opportunity for rebuild of Wauwatosa library, city hall
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- Big talk on drugs has macro and micro perspectives at Wauwatosa East
- Wauwatosa library first in state to offer Hoopla video and music streaming
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Change in Hart Park Senior Center management worries some members
- Greenfield School Board might use sale proceeds to possibly improve middle school
- Video: Zoo gorillas bring 'Tarzan' rehearsal to life for Wauwatosa East students
- Wauwatosa Police Report: March 5
- Student in custody for bringing knives to Wauwatosa East High School