Out-of-the-way studio keeps community in fitness
Body Tuning Aerobics offers small classes
When it comes to the big exercise club alternative, Body Tuning Aerobics Studio is a hidden gem.
Literally. Good luck spotting it from the street.
"It's just off the beaten path enough because you can't see it from North Avenue," instructor Michelle Kellom said. "I lived 2 ½ blocks from Body Tuning, and I didn't know it was there. We usually tell people it's behind RadioShack."
In fact, if you stand in the RadioShack parking lot and look west, you'll see a kitchen table-sized sign featuring a lopsided heart - that's the Body Tuning logo - and an arrow pointing to a walkway between the buildings. Follow the walkway, turn right and look for the red door.
The studio's out-of-the-way location, and virtually non-existent marketing budget, is probably the reason each class is so small. About five to 10 people attend aerobics and strength-training classes, which are available throughout the week as early as 5:30 a.m. (that's Kellom's class) and as late as 6:45 p.m.
"It tends to serve the neighborhood. People find it by word of mouth," Kellom said.
Once they find the place, she said, people tend to stay. They leave their shoes in the cabinet. They bring their kids.
It's probably the reason the one-room studio survived the Great Recession, Kellom said.
"Body Tuning seems to have some magic component. Somehow, there is just enough community support to keep it going."
Kellom discovered that more than 12 years ago, when she found Body Tuning in the Yellow Pages. She wanted to lose weight after her second child and became a student.
Today, she is part of a team of eight instructors - all women, all with full-time jobs.
"Great friendships have developed with women I probably wouldn't have crossed paths with otherwise," Kellom said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Body Tuning Aerobics Studio
ADDRESS: 6421 W. North Ave.
PHONE: (414) 453-6622
TYPE OF BUSINESS: aerobics studio
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Somehow, there is just enough community support to keep it going."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bavaria, relatively new, harkens to the old world
- Business Spotlight: From 'bowling ball' to fitness trainer, Tony Becker's been there
- Business Spotlight: Incentive Gallery, without inventory, delivers the perfect thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Business Spotlight: The Lutheran Home & Harwood Place
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Business Spotlight: Running a remodeling company no strain in family-owned business
- Business Spotlight: The Malt Shoppe isn't selling milk shakes
- Midtown Dental Care is 'home-like' for new and long-term patients
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Gigi's satisfies even the biggest craving for cupcakes
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Business Spotlight: Milwaukee Map surveys the world from a small store near you
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight Yoga instructor practiced the art before it was all the rage
- Business Spotlight: Alfa Flower shop weathered some tough years, and has flourished in the economic