Committee approves Schoonmacher Creek transfer
A city panel this week approved the transfer of Schoonmacher Creek to the jurisdiction of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, after a meeting last week with members of the Washington Homes Association allayed homeowners' concerns.
The creek is prone to flooding and is part of a storm sewer system that needs repairs and rebuilding that will cost millions of dollars, said City Engineer Bill Wehrley. The transfer means MMSD will help with the cost, but the work will be done on its timetable.
Hawks' transfer of store to Stein's moves ahead
The transfer of the garden store at Hawks Nursery to Stein Gardens & Gifts advanced Tuesday when the Community Development Committee approved a conditional-use permit.
The deal had met opposition from nearby residents who had longstanding complaints against Hawks unrelated to the Stein proposal. Alderwoman Cheryl Berdan said she and Alderman Don Birschel were meeting with residents and Hawks to resolve problems, including parking, machinery noise and other concerns.
Public Works to test new 'dual use' refuse and recycling pickup
The city Public Works Department will be conducting a two-week recycling pilot program beginning March 4 to improve the city recycling program.
The department has set a goal of diverting an additional 250 tons of refuse in the waste stream into the recycling stream, a gain to the city of $100 a ton. The system involves using the same vehicles to collect both recycling materials and refuse in a single day, reducing routes. The plan also eliminates hauling of recycling by city crews.
Residents should see little change under the pilot program, but may call (414) 471-8422 if a recycling pickup is missed during the test.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- News & Notes: Feb. 26
- News & Notes: Feb. 19
- News & Notes: Feb. 12
- News & Notes: Feb. 5, 2015
- News & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa school district adds computer science course
- Wauwatosa changes road-salting strategy to save thousands of dollars
- News & Notes: Dec. 25
- In Brief: Tosa Yoga hosts craft fair and Blood Center gains alliance
- In Brief: City Market closes North Avenue location
- News and Notes: Nov. 6, 2014 issue
- News and Notes: Oct. 30, 2014
- News and Notes: Oct. 16
- News & Notes: Oct. 9, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa News & Notes: Sept. 25
- News and Notes
- News & Notes: Sept. 11