People stopping by Cranky Al's for doughnuts May 29 got something extra sweet — a chance to meet the new owners of the Milwaukee Bucks, Marc Lasry and Wes Edens.
Lasry and Edens planned to make several stops throughout Milwaukee the same day, with Cranky Al's starting them off at 7 a.m. and McGillycuddy's welcoming them at 7 p.m.
Alex and Susie Brkich, owners of Cranky Al's, said they got a call two days before the visit to set things up. The Brkichs prepared special doughnuts with Bucks flags, and posted the news on social media the night before to give Bucks fans a chance to make it out.
"Many of our customers are fans, and it's important with new ownership for them to get to know their fans," Alex said. "I think it meant a lot to the fans that they actually came out here to meet them."
The owners stayed at the shop for about 45 minutes, taking photos, giving signatures and chatting about the team.
"They asked who they should pick in the draft and I said, 'Guys, I'm a doughnut maker,'" Alex said with a laugh. "Really it was a pleasure to talk to them and I think they're really going to like Milwaukee. They were very humble, nice guys."
The Brkichs are fans of the team and said they hope to see it improve with a new stadium, which Lasry and Edens have already pledged $100 million to help fund. The two bought the team for $550 million from former Sen. Herb Kohl in April.
"It's a new era and we're ready for it," Alex said. "We definitely need a new stadium. I hope it's like with Miller Park, where the team gets better and the stadium gets better and it just clicks."
Susie added: "And we think what's good for Milwaukee is good for us."
The only problem with the visit, as far as the Brkichs saw, was that Lasry and Edens were too busy talking they didn't have a chance to try to the doughnuts. But they brought them to go.
"We want to know what they think," Susie said. "We're waiting with baited breath. Tweet us. Call us. Let us know."
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 5
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 5
- Wauwatosa East student named 2016 presidential scholar
- Tosa Tonight announces 2016 concert headliners
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (10)