Neighbors concerned Tosa pub's patio may be noisy addition
Blue Ribbon's seating would wrap around side from Bluemound
A new bar and restaurant wants to add outdoor dining to attract customers, but neighbors worry it will cause late-night noise.
Mark Zierath plans to open Blue Ribbon Pub in the former Jo Jo's Pizza & Pub building, 11302 W. Bluemound Road. He has asked the city for permission to add outdoor seating along the building's front and its east side, which faces a residential neighborhood.
Gina Palen, who lives directly across from the business, said there are already noise issues. With kids in the home, she opposed the proposed keeping the outdoor seating available until midnight daily.
"We've already got smokers talking and giggling out there," Palen said.
Neighbor Ann Kammerer suggested seating be moved to the west side, next to a parking lot and other commercial businesses.
"I'm glad that this new restaurant is going in," she said. "It just could get pretty loud outdoors in the evening."
In an effort to offer a compromise, the Plan Commission on Tuesday night unanimously recommended allowing the outdoor seating as long as it ends by 10 p.m. Neighboring Guadalupe Mexican Restaurant ends its outdoor seating at that time.
Zierath said the majority of the seating, which he estimated would accommodate up to 48 people, would be placed along the front and he anticipated peak use during lunch and early evenings.
Heating and ventilation equipment on the west side of the building wouldn't provide room for outdoor seating. In addition, prohibiting the patio from wrapping around the east side would hurt the design aesthetic, he said.
"The building needs a little work," Commissioner Jody Lowe said. "If you can do this right, it could be an improvement."
The patio plans still need to go to the Design Review Board and the Community Development Committee for approval.
WHAT: The Community Development Committee will decide whether to allow outdoor dining at Blue Ribbon Pub, 11302 W. Bluemound Road
WHEN: 8 p.m. Feb. 28
WHERE: City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series