Meijer, the big-box grocery and department store retailer, is seeking approval from the city to build a store at 11123 W. Burleigh Road, on the site of the old Stroh Die Casting plant.
The site is on the south side of Burleigh, between 112th Street and the railroad tracks to the east.
Alderman Brian Ewerdt, who represents the area, said the store would be 157,000 square feet, with 65 percent dedicated to selling groceries and 35 percent to selling other retail items.
Meijer hopes to open the store early next year.
The chain is making its first foray into Wisconsin, having recently proposed to other sites in the Milwaukee area. Grafton this week approved a store, while Franklin advanced a plan but has not given final approval for the development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon looks to bring duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa
- No serious injuries reported in rollover crash on Highway 45 at Watertown Plank
- Longtime Wauwatosa resident receives Distinguished Citizen Award
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 2
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Arpil 2
- Wauwatosa's Barbara Mohr brings cartoon characters to life on Easter eggs
- State Reps. Hutton and Kooyenga hold town hall meetings in Wauwatosa
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2