Boxing has taught Oscar Medina to see the strength in people, even if they don't see it in themselves - like the mother who recently came to his studio hoping to help her son.
"She said, 'He's a wimp, like me,' " Medina recalled. "I said, 'Really? You're a wimp? Are you married? Do you have a child? Did you go to college?' Because you can't be a wimp and be married or have a child or go to college. You're a fighter, not a wimp."
It's a message he shares with everyone who visits Medina's Boxing Camp, the boxing and kickboxing studio he started more than 20 years ago.
"We don't just sweat here, we build character," Medina said. "Your will is going to be challenged. Your strength is going to be challenged. You'll want to give up. We don't let you give up."
It's a philosophy Medina began to embrace when he first started boxing as a youngster. And it's been reinforced as he traveled the world, learning kickboxing in Thailand and becoming a certified trainer in Europe.
He brought that message home when he opened a gym in Waukesha and, later, moved it to Wauwatosa for a more central location.
His experience qualifies him to work with professional athletes - and he has, from the Milwaukee Bucks to Division 1 soccer and hockey, even a would-be contestant on "The Biggest Loser."
But, Medina said, "Ninety percent of our people are here to learn the sweet science of boxing and kickboxing."
Medina offers everyone a free lesson and teaches all ages; his students range from 6 to 70s, he said. Classes are offered six hours a day, and about 20 to 30 people attend each class.
"They're my medication for life. I don't need drugs. I don't need alcohol. I don't need the fast life. This is what drives me," Medina said. "I've always felt that this sport has given me a lot. I just give it back."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS:Medina's Boxing Camp
ADDRESS: 718 N. 109th St.
PHONE: (414) 257-3993
TYPE OF BUSINESS: boxing and kickboxing studio
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Christian book business in Wauwatosa is a gem, but not a small one
- Wauwatosa's Bloom Floral does wedding flowers with a conscience
- Business Spotlight: Fiberwood Studio is not just a yarn shop
- Pet project in Wauwatosa pays off for owners and animals alike
- Finding new life for old buildings
- Wauwatosa business coach helps small companies
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Family's sausage business a hit at farmers markets
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says
- Platinum Salon relies on intimate, family atmosphere
- Tosa Wine & Spirits staff enjoys its new home
- Move to massage therapy good for the soul, Parlour owner says
- Designing durable landscapes a way of life for Tosa man
- Mobility store says it puts client needs before profit
- Birth center offers health services for whole family
- Standing the test of time
- Duo helps families choose assisted-living care right for them
- Filament shines light on home furnishing needs