A masonry instructor has offered up the services of his class to construct pillars to mark the 70th Street entrance to Hart Park.
The Milwaukee Area Technical College students would provide labor and the instructor the oversight to complete a design component of the park's master plan. However, purchasing the materials and the cost of delivering them to the park would fall to the city.
"We haven't budgeted for materials in 2012," Ken Walbrant, Parks and Forestry superintendent said Tuesday.
As a capital project, it should go to the city's Engineering Department for consideration and to be priced out. If there's interest, engineers likely would design the plans for the class to follow, Walbrant said.
The project would give masonry students an opportunity to work with limestone, Parks Board member George Haas said.
While it's a generous service donation, it would still end up costing the city, parks officials said.
"I really think we should pursue this, but pursue it cautiously," board member Steve Berg said.
Several of the board members weren't serving in 2007 when the park's master plan was created. With so many projects in the works - such as the playground - or on the horizon - the skate park, teen area and picnic pavilion, for instance - it's time to review the plan again early next year, parks officials said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School