A masonry instructor has offered up the services of his class to construct pillars to mark the 70th Street entrance to Hart Park.
The Milwaukee Area Technical College students would provide labor and the instructor the oversight to complete a design component of the park's master plan. However, purchasing the materials and the cost of delivering them to the park would fall to the city.
"We haven't budgeted for materials in 2012," Ken Walbrant, Parks and Forestry superintendent said Tuesday.
As a capital project, it should go to the city's Engineering Department for consideration and to be priced out. If there's interest, engineers likely would design the plans for the class to follow, Walbrant said.
The project would give masonry students an opportunity to work with limestone, Parks Board member George Haas said.
While it's a generous service donation, it would still end up costing the city, parks officials said.
"I really think we should pursue this, but pursue it cautiously," board member Steve Berg said.
Several of the board members weren't serving in 2007 when the park's master plan was created. With so many projects in the works - such as the playground - or on the horizon - the skate park, teen area and picnic pavilion, for instance - it's time to review the plan again early next year, parks officials said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hawaiian grocery crowd-funds commercial kitchen
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances