A masonry instructor has offered up the services of his class to construct pillars to mark the 70th Street entrance to Hart Park.
The Milwaukee Area Technical College students would provide labor and the instructor the oversight to complete a design component of the park's master plan. However, purchasing the materials and the cost of delivering them to the park would fall to the city.
"We haven't budgeted for materials in 2012," Ken Walbrant, Parks and Forestry superintendent said Tuesday.
As a capital project, it should go to the city's Engineering Department for consideration and to be priced out. If there's interest, engineers likely would design the plans for the class to follow, Walbrant said.
The project would give masonry students an opportunity to work with limestone, Parks Board member George Haas said.
While it's a generous service donation, it would still end up costing the city, parks officials said.
"I really think we should pursue this, but pursue it cautiously," board member Steve Berg said.
Several of the board members weren't serving in 2007 when the park's master plan was created. With so many projects in the works - such as the playground - or on the horizon - the skate park, teen area and picnic pavilion, for instance - it's time to review the plan again early next year, parks officials said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Two businesses in same building burglarized
- Wauwatosa Montessori students practice mind-body awareness with help from Growing Minds program
- Exercising eminent domain, Wauwatosa seeks warehouse property for school drop-off site
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Jan. 29
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings
- State Street Station in Wauwatosa Village gets preliminary approval
- DOT considering Mayfair Road expansion, acquisitions through Wauwatosa