A man driving a stolen vehicle led officers on a car chase that reached 84 mph and started on Mayfair Road last week.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man was wanted for a retail theft at a West Allis liquor store and Wauwatosa police spotted his vehicle on Mayfair Road near Mayfair mall at 12:05 p.m. March 24. A pursuit covered 2.5 miles of the city before it was terminated out of concern for the safety of other drivers.
The vehicle had been stolen on St. Patrick's Day, when the owner gave his friend a ride home from a bar. When they stopped at a gas station, the friend took the car while the owner was in the store.
He later called and offered to sell back the car for $40. When they met, money was exchanged and the owner was directed to the car but it was nowhere to be found.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options