Jonathon Butterfield, 18, of Milwaukee, was charged with arson in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on April 24. He is accused of starting a soap dispenser on fire in the lower-level men's bathroom of Family Options Counseling, 3015 N. 114th St., after his therapy session on Thursday, April 17.
According to the criminal complaint, Butterfield asked to use the bathroom after meeting with his psychologist and was escorted by a front office employee to the lobby. A short time later, smoke was discovered.
The bathroom walls, ceiling and bathroom door suffered about $5,000 worth of damage.
Butterfield told officers he started the fire because "he wanted to see what would happen," the complaint states.
He said he did not intend for the whole building to catch fire or for anyone to get hurt.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options
- Former Wauwatosa priest pleads not guilty to embezzlement charges
- New principal at Lincoln Elementary vows to help students find their 'spark'
- Weekly Planner: Aug. 28