A man accused of being involved in a robbery was found to have a realistic looking toy gun in his car that he said belonged to his 2-year-old son.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
Officers were looking for reckless drivers at Mayfair and Bluemound roads who may have been involved in a West Allis drug deal and robbery.
They caught up with the vehicles - one chasing the other at twice the speed limit- at Hampton Avenue and 107th Street about 7:15 p.m. May 25. Eventually, they were stopped at Fast Track Oil Change, 7515 W. Capitol Drive.
A weapon that looked like a semi-automatic pistol was on the backseat of a 28-year-old Milwaukee man's vehicle. It turned out to be a fake that shoots BBs.
A birth certificate for the man's 2-year-old son also was found in the vehicle. He said the gun belonged to his little boy, who "likes pow-pows."
He was arrested for the robbery. The weapon was seized and turned over to the West Allis police, as was the man.
His record showed a pattern of carrying realistic-looking fake weapons. In August, he had been arrested at Applebee's for carrying one in his waistband. In another incident, a fake weapon was found in his vehicle at Holiday Inn Express. In February, during a suspicious vehicle investigation at Alioto's, he was found to have a toy firearm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bavaria, relatively new, harkens to the old world
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 30
- Annual 'Tosa's Night Out' is Aug. 4 at Hart Park
- Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall: Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 30
- Mayfair holds back-to-school style event
- Tosa police: stealing vehicles to 'joy ride' is new trend among criminals (2)
- Medical College of Wisconsin construction begins Aug. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 23, 2015 issue