A man accused of being involved in a robbery was found to have a realistic looking toy gun in his car that he said belonged to his 2-year-old son.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
Officers were looking for reckless drivers at Mayfair and Bluemound roads who may have been involved in a West Allis drug deal and robbery.
They caught up with the vehicles - one chasing the other at twice the speed limit- at Hampton Avenue and 107th Street about 7:15 p.m. May 25. Eventually, they were stopped at Fast Track Oil Change, 7515 W. Capitol Drive.
A weapon that looked like a semi-automatic pistol was on the backseat of a 28-year-old Milwaukee man's vehicle. It turned out to be a fake that shoots BBs.
A birth certificate for the man's 2-year-old son also was found in the vehicle. He said the gun belonged to his little boy, who "likes pow-pows."
He was arrested for the robbery. The weapon was seized and turned over to the West Allis police, as was the man.
His record showed a pattern of carrying realistic-looking fake weapons. In August, he had been arrested at Applebee's for carrying one in his waistband. In another incident, a fake weapon was found in his vehicle at Holiday Inn Express. In February, during a suspicious vehicle investigation at Alioto's, he was found to have a toy firearm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31