A 20-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for substantial domestic battery, marijuana possession, vandalism and violating probation after he beat up the mother of his child at Days Inn, 11811 W. Blue Mound Road.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man had been staying at the hotel before moving out of state, while the 19-year-old ex-girlfriend was residing at a domestic abuse shelter.
After she saw the man out with another woman, she took a bus to the hotel. The clerk heard arguing and saw him via a security camera striking her several times at 3:20 p.m. Friday.
A few minutes later, hotel staff members said they heard screaming coming from a guestroom where the door was ajar. They saw the 19-year-old woman on the floor with the man standing over her. She got up and ran from the room, collapsing in the hallway.
A Milwaukee County sheriff deputy happened to be at the hotel when the man and woman - bloody and woozy - entered the lobby. The man tried to run, breaking the automatic door-closing device, and a chase ensued. The deputy used his stun gun and stopped him.
The woman, meanwhile, ran to a nearby bus stop, where she boarded a county bus and collapsed. She was unresponsive and convulsing and had an open cut and swelling above her eye. It took several hours before she was conscious and coherent enough to speak with officers. She said she was punched about a dozen times and hit her head on the dresser.
The clerk said the man had checked in with a group of guys who had been kicked out of a Milwaukee Days Inn. She was concerned he had purchased drugs earlier in the evening when a car pulled up and he jumped inside it for a few minutes, coming back to the front desk to ask for change.
A search of the hotel room turned up 0.61 grams of marijuana. His record showed he has had three prior marijuana arrests in the past year and was in violation of his probation from the Wisconsin Department of Correction.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director