People who knew Lois Weber said she would not have approved a theater being named after her. But after Weber's faithful service to the Wauwatosa School Board and the Children's Theatre of Wauwatosa, Longfellow Middle School dedicated its theater to the esteemed public servant March 27.
About 50 community members attended the dedication for Weber, who died in September 2013. Weber was a Wauwatosa resident and graduated from Wauwatosa High School in 1948. She directed and ran props and costumes for the Children's Theatre for more than 40 years and served on the School Board for 37 years. She resigned from the board May 7.
Superintendent Phil Ertl, School Board President Michael Meier, Wauwatosa West Theater Director Adam Steffan and Curt Weber, son of Lois, were among the night's speakers and shared how Weber personally impacted them.
"It was never Lois Weber first; it was everybody else," Ertl said. "Even after numerous conversations, I don't think she ever accepted the fact that [the theater] would be named after her."
Steffan recalled working with Weber with Children's Theatre.
"She always had a way of working Children's Theatre into the conversation," Steffan said.
Weber also presented Steffan his high school diploma from Wauwatosa East.
"Lois Weber has left a most wonderful legacy," Steffan added. "We are enormously grateful."
After the ceremony, Children's Theatre performed "The Wizard of Oz" in the newly dedicated space.
"She wanted the focus on the children," Weber said.
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Commercial vehicle parking ban is obsolete
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy reports consistent enrollment numbers
- Irish Fest gears up for week of classes at Tosa's CelticMKE Center
- Tosa Skateboarders United hosts first event since opening of new park
- Friends of Center Street Park will launch new barbecue event July 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: June 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: June 30
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (4)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park