Eight Wauwatosa residents who have been busy in their kitchens took home awards from the Wisconsin State Fair for their culinary creations.
Leading the local prizewinners was Sue Urbaniak, who for starters received blue ribbons for her recipe featuring grapes, nonfruit jelly, peach and raspberry marmalades and marbel, upside down and vegetable cakes. Urbaniak also won second-place honors for her cherry jelly and German chocolate and citrus-flavored cakes; third places for coffee cake, cherry pie and combined fruit, strawberry and cherry jellies; and an honorable mention for pecan pie and fruit butter.
The Radewahns showed that talent runs in the family.
Rebekah Radewahn won firsts for cinnamon bread, French bread and citrus pie entries. Her sandwich cookies and pork recipe took third places while her shortbread brought in an honorable mention. Carla Radewahn's top prize came from a recipe made with wild rice. Her recipe made with peas took a second and she received third places for honey sauce, the sandwich showdown, and maple syrup cake and cookies. Her brat recipe and Gold'n Plump grilling challenge entries took honorable mentions. In the children's category, Julie Radewahn earned a first for her summer beverage and third places for quickbread and pasta salad.
Maria Kuhn earned a blue ribbon for her tea party cakes and third places for decorated-by-a-youth and Wisconsin-themed cakes.
Marilyn Ibach received second places for cupcakes and a recipe that called for yogurt, as well as a third for a dessert smoothie.
Jennifer May got off to a great start with a third place for her first-time pie entry and a red ribbon for coconut cream pie.
Tim Urbaniak was honored with a first for strawberry marmalade or fruit butter and thirds for his berry and Spam recipes.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?