Eight Wauwatosa residents who have been busy in their kitchens took home awards from the Wisconsin State Fair for their culinary creations.
Leading the local prizewinners was Sue Urbaniak, who for starters received blue ribbons for her recipe featuring grapes, nonfruit jelly, peach and raspberry marmalades and marbel, upside down and vegetable cakes. Urbaniak also won second-place honors for her cherry jelly and German chocolate and citrus-flavored cakes; third places for coffee cake, cherry pie and combined fruit, strawberry and cherry jellies; and an honorable mention for pecan pie and fruit butter.
The Radewahns showed that talent runs in the family.
Rebekah Radewahn won firsts for cinnamon bread, French bread and citrus pie entries. Her sandwich cookies and pork recipe took third places while her shortbread brought in an honorable mention. Carla Radewahn's top prize came from a recipe made with wild rice. Her recipe made with peas took a second and she received third places for honey sauce, the sandwich showdown, and maple syrup cake and cookies. Her brat recipe and Gold'n Plump grilling challenge entries took honorable mentions. In the children's category, Julie Radewahn earned a first for her summer beverage and third places for quickbread and pasta salad.
Maria Kuhn earned a blue ribbon for her tea party cakes and third places for decorated-by-a-youth and Wisconsin-themed cakes.
Marilyn Ibach received second places for cupcakes and a recipe that called for yogurt, as well as a third for a dessert smoothie.
Jennifer May got off to a great start with a third place for her first-time pie entry and a red ribbon for coconut cream pie.
Tim Urbaniak was honored with a first for strawberry marmalade or fruit butter and thirds for his berry and Spam recipes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting