Eight Wauwatosa residents who have been busy in their kitchens took home awards from the Wisconsin State Fair for their culinary creations.
Leading the local prizewinners was Sue Urbaniak, who for starters received blue ribbons for her recipe featuring grapes, nonfruit jelly, peach and raspberry marmalades and marbel, upside down and vegetable cakes. Urbaniak also won second-place honors for her cherry jelly and German chocolate and citrus-flavored cakes; third places for coffee cake, cherry pie and combined fruit, strawberry and cherry jellies; and an honorable mention for pecan pie and fruit butter.
The Radewahns showed that talent runs in the family.
Rebekah Radewahn won firsts for cinnamon bread, French bread and citrus pie entries. Her sandwich cookies and pork recipe took third places while her shortbread brought in an honorable mention. Carla Radewahn's top prize came from a recipe made with wild rice. Her recipe made with peas took a second and she received third places for honey sauce, the sandwich showdown, and maple syrup cake and cookies. Her brat recipe and Gold'n Plump grilling challenge entries took honorable mentions. In the children's category, Julie Radewahn earned a first for her summer beverage and third places for quickbread and pasta salad.
Maria Kuhn earned a blue ribbon for her tea party cakes and third places for decorated-by-a-youth and Wisconsin-themed cakes.
Marilyn Ibach received second places for cupcakes and a recipe that called for yogurt, as well as a third for a dessert smoothie.
Jennifer May got off to a great start with a third place for her first-time pie entry and a red ribbon for coconut cream pie.
Tim Urbaniak was honored with a first for strawberry marmalade or fruit butter and thirds for his berry and Spam recipes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern