The Wauwatosa School District boasts two award recipients of the 2012 Herb Kohl Education Foundation Award.
Fourth-grade teacher Nancy Terrian of Eisenhower Elementary was named a Fellowship award winner.
Katherine Adams, a senior at West High School, was named a Foundation Excellence Scholar.
They will be honored along with other award winners at a luncheon on March 31 at Riverside High School in Milwaukee.
Each Fellow's school receives a $1,000 grant.
"It's never a surprise to learn that a teacher and a student from Wauwatosa have been recognized for their work," Superintendent Phil Ertl said. "Nancy Terrain and Katherine Adams are outstanding examples of what makes the Wauwatosa School District great, our dedicated staff and students."
Terrian was described by colleagues as dedicated to providing learning opportunities and improving student learning. Faculty described Adams as creative and dependable while looking for ways to serve her community.
Including the 2012 recipients, the district has had 35 teachers named Fellows, 19 students receiving Excellence Scholarships and five students receiving Initiative Scholarships from the Kohl Education Foundation.
Excellence Scholarships and Fellowship recipients are selected by a statewide committee of civic leaders and representatives from education-related associations as well as the program sponsors: The Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Wisconsin Council of religious and Independent Schools and the regional Cooperative Educational Service Agencies.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- $100 million in sewer costs loom over Wauwatosa
- Safe Routes to School in Wauwatosa continues to spread word
- Mayfair, Mayfair Collections in Wauwatosa seen as complements, not competitors
- Roosevelt Elementary students place in dance competition
- Memorial Day ceremony scheduled for Longfellow Middle School
- Ask NOW: When will the Menomonee River Parkway be repaved?
- In Our Schools: May 20
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Business Notes: May 16
- Rios appointed to take open Tosa School Board seat