The Wauwatosa School District boasts two award recipients of the 2012 Herb Kohl Education Foundation Award.
Fourth-grade teacher Nancy Terrian of Eisenhower Elementary was named a Fellowship award winner.
Katherine Adams, a senior at West High School, was named a Foundation Excellence Scholar.
They will be honored along with other award winners at a luncheon on March 31 at Riverside High School in Milwaukee.
Each Fellow's school receives a $1,000 grant.
"It's never a surprise to learn that a teacher and a student from Wauwatosa have been recognized for their work," Superintendent Phil Ertl said. "Nancy Terrain and Katherine Adams are outstanding examples of what makes the Wauwatosa School District great, our dedicated staff and students."
Terrian was described by colleagues as dedicated to providing learning opportunities and improving student learning. Faculty described Adams as creative and dependable while looking for ways to serve her community.
Including the 2012 recipients, the district has had 35 teachers named Fellows, 19 students receiving Excellence Scholarships and five students receiving Initiative Scholarships from the Kohl Education Foundation.
Excellence Scholarships and Fellowship recipients are selected by a statewide committee of civic leaders and representatives from education-related associations as well as the program sponsors: The Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Wisconsin Council of religious and Independent Schools and the regional Cooperative Educational Service Agencies.
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)
- Business Spotlight: Cranky Al's has grown from desperation to a Wauwatosa institution (4)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: July21
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Lecture at library to address existentialism and anxiety