Jo Jo's Pizza & Pub will close and a new restaurant, tentatively named Blue Ribbon Pub, will open in its place.
Mark Zierath, owner of Molly Cool's Seafood Tavern in downtown Milwaukee, requested a transfer of Jo Jo's tavern license so he can serve drinks, as well as pizza, sandwiches, salads and a Friday fish fry, at the new business.
The city's Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee on Tuesday unanimously supported the license transfer. It must go to the full Common Council for final approval next week.
The owner of Jo Jo's is getting out of the restaurant business due to health issues, and Zierath has entered into a lease agreement for the building, 11302 W. Blue Mound Road. He plans to open in mid-March and handle the day-to-day management of the establishment.
The menu will offer more variety and lunch will be served - right now Jo Jo's opens at 3 p.m. - in hope of driving more traffic to the location.
Zierath wants to add a patio for outdoor dining and has submitted plans for the Plan Commission to consider next month.
"Molly Cool's does have two very large patios so I do have experience with outdoor dining," Zierath said.
The committee could have recommended extending the liquor license to any future outdoor dining so Zierath would not have to return for additional approvals if the patio becomes a reality, City Attorney Alan Kesner said.
Alderman Tim Hanson, who represents the district, said he'd prefer to hold off on a blanket approval to give residents time to have a say on the outdoor dining component.
WHAT:Common Council vote on transferring a tavern license from Jo Jo's Pizza & Pub to a new eatery planned for the building
WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday
WHERE: City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new math requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drivers
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31