Milwaukee County has created a disc golf course that provides access for people in wheelchairs.
The course offers three holes on relatively flat terrain and shorter distances on the grounds of the Wil-O-Way Center, 10602 Underwood Parkway, Wauwatosa.
"The Underwood Course hugs along the pathway and offers an opportunity for wheelchair users to play the game," said Tim Ochnikowski, assistant director of the county's Office for Persons with Disabilities.
The tee markers, where people drive their discs, and the baskets that serve as holes are up. With no snow on the ground people of all abilities can play the course this holiday season.
The county also created a disc golf course at the Grant Park Wil-O-Way Center in South Milwaukee.
"The Grant course is more challenging as it requires more use of going over grass," Ochnikowski said.
Beginning disc golfers will find the Underwood Course provides a good learning environment or a practice ground for one's short game, he said.
The courses are open to the public as long as the facility isn't reserved for a group outing. Admission is free, and players need to bring their own discs.
The website, County.Milwaukee.gov/WilOWayDiscGolf, provides information about both courses and has a scorecard that can be downloaded.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 8
- In Brief: Nordstrom fundraising; Village streetscaping
- Wauwatosa School Board outlines district development plan (1)
- Proposed Wauwatosa budget would result in lower taxes
- Aurora Health Care plans $35 million improvements at Wauwatosa campus
- In speech at Wauwatosa West, urban farmer Will Allen stresses need for sustainable food systems
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop
- Large crowd in Wauwatosa gymnasium discusses coyote attacks, seeks answers (8)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Oct. 12
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 8