Milwaukee County has created a disc golf course that provides access for people in wheelchairs.
The course offers three holes on relatively flat terrain and shorter distances on the grounds of the Wil-O-Way Center, 10602 Underwood Parkway, Wauwatosa.
"The Underwood Course hugs along the pathway and offers an opportunity for wheelchair users to play the game," said Tim Ochnikowski, assistant director of the county's Office for Persons with Disabilities.
The tee markers, where people drive their discs, and the baskets that serve as holes are up. With no snow on the ground people of all abilities can play the course this holiday season.
The county also created a disc golf course at the Grant Park Wil-O-Way Center in South Milwaukee.
"The Grant course is more challenging as it requires more use of going over grass," Ochnikowski said.
Beginning disc golfers will find the Underwood Course provides a good learning environment or a practice ground for one's short game, he said.
The courses are open to the public as long as the facility isn't reserved for a group outing. Admission is free, and players need to bring their own discs.
The website, County.Milwaukee.gov/WilOWayDiscGolf, provides information about both courses and has a scorecard that can be downloaded.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Public Forum: United to Serve would be a good neighbor at Pius site
- Public Forum: Tosa East's production of 'Tarzan' is a thriller
- Public Forum: New building on North looks like a 'big elephant'
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 26-May 2
- Wauwatosa celebrating Bike to School Day Wednesday
- Tosa school board member loses vice presidency amid conflict of interest concerns (16)
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 7