A group interested in preserving the land and history of the County Grounds will hold a community discussion about the future of the historic Eschweiler Buildings on Wednesday at the Wauwatosa Public Library.
The County Grounds Coalition - environmental groups including Milwaukee Riverkeeper and The Park People of Milwaukee County and historical organizations such as the Wisconsin Trust for Historical Preservation that banded together in 2010 - have been unhappy with the residential portion of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Innovation Park development.
Mandel Group's latest proposal to the city's Historic Preservation Commission called for eliminating all but the administration building and constructing new housing units around it. UWM is relying on the sale of the property to Mandel Group to make a payment to Milwaukee County for the entire Innovation Park property.
The coalition invites community members to talk at 6:30 p.m. about the value of the Eschweiler Buildings and explore ways to achieve a better outcome.
"Throughout the 18 months Mandel has been planning the residential portion of the development, there was never any indication they needed to demolish any of the buildings," said Barb Agnew, coalition member and chairwoman of the Friends of the Monarch Trail. "So when they came with the latest plan, I felt we should discuss any realistic and possible alternatives and solutions to save them."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills