With all the recent bicycling buzz in Wauwatosa lately since the East Tosa Gran Prix, it is only fitting that another organized bike ride should hit the streets.
Only this one is not a race.
The Full Moon Bike Ride is a monthly bike ride that is as scenic as it is social. The leisurely 10-mile ride strolls through Wauwatosa neighborhoods, the Hank Aaron State Trail, down past the VA Medical Center and then stops for a view of the moon at Miller Park before turning back.
"It is so cool to bike through the old historic neighborhoods at night" said ride organizer Marty Vander Velde. "The houses are lit up, and you don't see that during the day. You see a whole different architecture by the headlight."
The slow-paced ride is an average of 10 to 12 miles per hour — a "no sweat" pace, Vander Velde added.
About 35 to 40 people attend. There is no cost or registration to participate. Just show up, he said.
Neighbors, friends and family are all invited to participate in the bike ride, which kicks off at West North Avenue and North 69th Street in the Wauwatosa city parking lot next to Rocket Baby Bakery.
Vander Velde organized the Full Moon Bike Rides last year in an effort to create community connectedness. He had also been bicycling with his family and realized how many more conversations they all had together because of it.
The entire ride takes about one hour. The group can be found fueling up at Cranky Al's before the ride and stopping for drinks and appetizers afterward at local watering holes such as Ruby Tap wine bar, Bel Air Cantina, Cafe Hollander or Hector's Mexican restaurant.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Full Moon Bike Rides
■ 8 p.m. Saturday, July 12
■ 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10 (super full moon)
■ 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8
■ 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8
■ 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 6
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting