Four people have been arrested for passing counterfeit money at Target, and the U.S. Secret Service is investigating.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
A 41-year-old Milwaukee woman handed a clerk a $100 bill for an $8 purchase. The clerk became suspicious because she saw numerous $20 bills when the customer opened her wallet.
The woman left in a vehicle, which officers pulled over at 102nd Street and Capitol Drive at 5:37 p.m. May 28.
She told officers she had found the bill, which turned out to be a washed and reprinted $5 bill. She was arrested for forgery, possession of drug paraphernalia and on a Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office warrant. Two crack pipes, the butts of marijuana cigarettes and a blunt cutter were found in her purse.
The district attorney is expected to issue charges against her June 27.
The driver, a 49-year-old Milwaukee man, arrested for forgery, being party to a crime and ID theft after he provided false identification to an officer. The two other passengers, a 49-year-old Milwaukee man and a 43-year-old Madison woman, also were arrested for forgery and being party to a crime. In addition, one of the men was arrested on warrants for retail theft with Waukesha and Milwaukee counties.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills (1)