Foti Chiropractic combats pressures of American life
Texting blamed for uptick in problems
Dr. David Foti has treated hundreds, if not thousands, of hurt necks, wrists and backs during the course of his 33 years in chiropractic practice.
But the Wauwatosa chiropractor says that he has seen a pronounced spike in the number of headaches and neck, back and other joint-related pains in recent years. He attributes the cause to society's sedentary lifestyle and growing reliance on personal computers and other electronic devices.
"I see it every day in my waiting room, patients who are bending over their phones with their heads held forward and double-thumbing text messages," said Foti, who operates Foti Chiropractic with his associates Dr. Felicia Toy and Dr. Hans Halaska - who happen to also be his daughter and his nephew. (Foti's wife, Jenny, is the practice's office manager, while a fifth family member, the couple's son, Phillip, is currently attending chiropractic school.)
"They're straining their necks and developing carpal tunnel syndrome and headaches - mostly while sitting for long periods of time, which puts up to five times the pressure on the lower back than when standing."
Using a range of hands-on and instrument-assisted adjustment and physical therapy techniques, Foti Chiropractic focuses on wellness, prenatal and pediatric care, women's health and preventive treatment. The practice also conducts a weekly class on how to maintain spine flexibility.
"Chiropractic science is based on the philosophy of spinal misalignment (subluxation) being the cause of disease," Foti said. "You can't put stress on one area without it affecting another part of the body. And if your spine is misaligned, it can put pressure on nerves, which will bring about illness."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Foti Chiropractic
ADDRESS: 11717 W. North Ave.
PHONE: (414) 259-9008
OWNER: Dr. David Foti
TYPE OF BUSINESS: Chiropractic Clinic
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Dog trainer finds it's people who need aid
- Business Spotlight: Russ Drover finds beauty in the original
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: When he left the corporate world, he made new arrangements
- Business Spotlight: For Ruckus & Glee toy store in Wauwatosa, it's all about play
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- Business Spotlight: Guitarist Kirk Tatnall plays — and passes it along
- Business Spotlight: Seeking contact with life, Tom Gill found drumming
- Business Spotlight: Jonathon Leubner heard music calling and followed it
- Business Spotlight: Ray's takes its music, and its wine, seriously
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: From a personal quest to a rug store in Tosa
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bavaria, relatively new, harkens to the old world
- Business Spotlight: From 'bowling ball' to fitness trainer, Tony Becker's been there
- Business Spotlight: Incentive Gallery, without inventory, delivers the perfect thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming