Foti Chiropractic combats pressures of American life
Texting blamed for uptick in problems
Dr. David Foti has treated hundreds, if not thousands, of hurt necks, wrists and backs during the course of his 33 years in chiropractic practice.
But the Wauwatosa chiropractor says that he has seen a pronounced spike in the number of headaches and neck, back and other joint-related pains in recent years. He attributes the cause to society's sedentary lifestyle and growing reliance on personal computers and other electronic devices.
"I see it every day in my waiting room, patients who are bending over their phones with their heads held forward and double-thumbing text messages," said Foti, who operates Foti Chiropractic with his associates Dr. Felicia Toy and Dr. Hans Halaska - who happen to also be his daughter and his nephew. (Foti's wife, Jenny, is the practice's office manager, while a fifth family member, the couple's son, Phillip, is currently attending chiropractic school.)
"They're straining their necks and developing carpal tunnel syndrome and headaches - mostly while sitting for long periods of time, which puts up to five times the pressure on the lower back than when standing."
Using a range of hands-on and instrument-assisted adjustment and physical therapy techniques, Foti Chiropractic focuses on wellness, prenatal and pediatric care, women's health and preventive treatment. The practice also conducts a weekly class on how to maintain spine flexibility.
"Chiropractic science is based on the philosophy of spinal misalignment (subluxation) being the cause of disease," Foti said. "You can't put stress on one area without it affecting another part of the body. And if your spine is misaligned, it can put pressure on nerves, which will bring about illness."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Foti Chiropractic
ADDRESS: 11717 W. North Ave.
PHONE: (414) 259-9008
OWNER: Dr. David Foti
TYPE OF BUSINESS: Chiropractic Clinic
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Arte Wine & Painting Studio
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Tuesday's Child
- Wauwatosa's Village is home to stores, restaurants — and museum exhibit design, of course
- For Josh Saiia, there's olive oil, and then there's olive oil
- Business Spotlight: Designing, contracting go hand in hand for French Country Pine
- Sisters took a chance on Wauwatosa Ruby Tap, and soon there will be one in Mequon
- Business Spotlight: Salamander changed shape, until it took on women's clothing
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa's Fair Trade is a retail shop in the 'helping people' sector
- Christian book business in Wauwatosa is a gem, but not a small one
- Wauwatosa's Bloom Floral does wedding flowers with a conscience
- Business Spotlight: Fiberwood Studio is not just a yarn shop
- Pet project in Wauwatosa pays off for owners and animals alike
- Finding new life for old buildings
- Wauwatosa business coach helps small companies
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Family's sausage business a hit at farmers markets
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says