With an ever-changing inventory of trendy discount clothes, Discovery Clothing Company doesn't see itself as much of a competitor for Mayfair Mall.
"We saw a good opportunity to fill a void in the area," said Jeff Goldman, co-owner and CEO, who runs the business with his brother, Kenny Goldman.
"We offer low price fashion clothing," Goldman explained. "Our concept is offering a lot of the same clothes as the department stores but at half the price. We just sell a lot more."
The concept grew out of a flea market the family founded in the Chicago area in 1986. Nearly 25 years later, Discovery Clothing - opportunistically named after the "Discover" credit card that launched around the same time - has grown into a regional franchise. The store at 2857 N. Mayfair Road, which opened March 1, is the company's 29th store and its third in Wisconsin.
Back when the store was a flea market, everything cost $10 or less. Today, nothing is priced over $25.
But offering department store styles at low prices doesn't mean Discovery is just like its discount cousins, TJMaxx and Marshalls.
"Our store has a boutique feel," Goldman explained. "The size is 15,000 square feet, but it doesn't look like a discounter. … We have chandeliers. We have wood trim surrounding our focal walls."
Colors throughout the store are muted, mimicking high-end retailers and letting the often brightly-colored clothes - from career staples to club gear - provide the pops of color that Goldman believes appeal to women and girls, ages 13 to 40, and make up the store's customer base.
The hope is that people will come in for the prices and stay for the experience, shopping for of-the-moment clothing without coupons and without having to search for a clerk; the new Discovery store will have 40 employees and six check-out lanes.
Then, Goldman said, he hopes they keep coming back.
"If you buy a top for $10 and wear it 10 times, you can then find something new. It's sort of disposable clothing. You can wear it, then come back and find something new and exciting," Goldman said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Discovery Clothing Company
ADDRESS: 2857 N. Mayfair Road
PHONE: (414) 479-9998
OWNER: Jeff and Kenny Goldman
TYPE OF BUSINESS: discount clothing
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our concept is offering a lot of the same clothes as the department stores but at half the price."
- Business Spotlight: Tosa Bowl and Bun
- Business Spotlight: For Loriena Harrington, the land kept calling her back
- Colonel Hart's is a bar that will make you feel like family
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Legacy Gym, it's not just about abs
- Business Spotlight: The Wauwatosa Historical Society keeps up to date with the past
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor found his way by a fortunate accident
- Business Spotlight: On a quest for good brews, they found a World of Beer
- Business Spotlight: Jenny Kyle Smith hits the sweet spot after years of struggle
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Kirchen's Car Sick Art is more art than cars
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa-based Irish Fest Center does more than put on a summer festival
- Business Spotlight: Sheeley Service puts the zip in your beverage of choice
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Dog trainer finds it's people who need aid
- Business Spotlight: Russ Drover finds beauty in the original
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: When he left the corporate world, he made new arrangements
- Business Spotlight: For Ruckus & Glee toy store in Wauwatosa, it's all about play
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- Business Spotlight: Guitarist Kirk Tatnall plays — and passes it along
- Business Spotlight: Seeking contact with life, Tom Gill found drumming
- Business Spotlight: Jonathon Leubner heard music calling and followed it