With an ever-changing inventory of trendy discount clothes, Discovery Clothing Company doesn't see itself as much of a competitor for Mayfair Mall.
"We saw a good opportunity to fill a void in the area," said Jeff Goldman, co-owner and CEO, who runs the business with his brother, Kenny Goldman.
"We offer low price fashion clothing," Goldman explained. "Our concept is offering a lot of the same clothes as the department stores but at half the price. We just sell a lot more."
The concept grew out of a flea market the family founded in the Chicago area in 1986. Nearly 25 years later, Discovery Clothing - opportunistically named after the "Discover" credit card that launched around the same time - has grown into a regional franchise. The store at 2857 N. Mayfair Road, which opened March 1, is the company's 29th store and its third in Wisconsin.
Back when the store was a flea market, everything cost $10 or less. Today, nothing is priced over $25.
But offering department store styles at low prices doesn't mean Discovery is just like its discount cousins, TJMaxx and Marshalls.
"Our store has a boutique feel," Goldman explained. "The size is 15,000 square feet, but it doesn't look like a discounter. … We have chandeliers. We have wood trim surrounding our focal walls."
Colors throughout the store are muted, mimicking high-end retailers and letting the often brightly-colored clothes - from career staples to club gear - provide the pops of color that Goldman believes appeal to women and girls, ages 13 to 40, and make up the store's customer base.
The hope is that people will come in for the prices and stay for the experience, shopping for of-the-moment clothing without coupons and without having to search for a clerk; the new Discovery store will have 40 employees and six check-out lanes.
Then, Goldman said, he hopes they keep coming back.
"If you buy a top for $10 and wear it 10 times, you can then find something new. It's sort of disposable clothing. You can wear it, then come back and find something new and exciting," Goldman said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Discovery Clothing Company
ADDRESS: 2857 N. Mayfair Road
PHONE: (414) 479-9998
OWNER: Jeff and Kenny Goldman
TYPE OF BUSINESS: discount clothing
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our concept is offering a lot of the same clothes as the department stores but at half the price."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Business Spotlight: The Lutheran Home & Harwood Place
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Business Spotlight: Running a remodeling company no strain in family-owned business
- Business Spotlight: The Malt Shoppe isn't selling milk shakes
- Midtown Dental Care is 'home-like' for new and long-term patients
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Gigi's satisfies even the biggest craving for cupcakes
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Business Spotlight: Milwaukee Map surveys the world from a small store near you
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight Yoga instructor practiced the art before it was all the rage
- Business Spotlight: Alfa Flower shop weathered some tough years, and has flourished in the economic
- The wheel of life keeps rolling at Johnson's bike store
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bridgetown Framing Gallery
- Wauwatosa's Harwood Hair makes styling about more than hair
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Arte Wine & Painting Studio
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus