The owner of Mayfair Title Corp. got a surprise when he checked up on a financial discrepancy: An employee had allegedly embezzled over $80,000 from the company.
According to the police report:
The owner was reviewing the company's finances when he found a discrepancy, which he reported to the financial director, a 42-year-old Greenfield woman.
The owner became suspicious after the financial director couldn't explain the discrepancy. Looking deeper into the company's finances, the owner found more discrepancies. Checks were being made out to a mortgage company and to a woman he didn't know.
The woman turned out to be the financial director's sister. The owner believes the mortgage company holds the financial director's mortgage.
The report said the financial director confessed to the embezzlement when the owner confronted her with the evidence he gathered and said she would help him gather the data. She hasn't returned to the office since. She was terminated by Mayfair Title.
Mayfair Title receives its money from a third-party organization. The financial director would enter inflated rates in the ledger and draw from the difference with the checks, according to the report.
Police are looking for the financial director.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting