The owner of Mayfair Title Corp. got a surprise when he checked up on a financial discrepancy: An employee had allegedly embezzled over $80,000 from the company.
According to the police report:
The owner was reviewing the company's finances when he found a discrepancy, which he reported to the financial director, a 42-year-old Greenfield woman.
The owner became suspicious after the financial director couldn't explain the discrepancy. Looking deeper into the company's finances, the owner found more discrepancies. Checks were being made out to a mortgage company and to a woman he didn't know.
The woman turned out to be the financial director's sister. The owner believes the mortgage company holds the financial director's mortgage.
The report said the financial director confessed to the embezzlement when the owner confronted her with the evidence he gathered and said she would help him gather the data. She hasn't returned to the office since. She was terminated by Mayfair Title.
Mayfair Title receives its money from a third-party organization. The financial director would enter inflated rates in the ledger and draw from the difference with the checks, according to the report.
Police are looking for the financial director.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Casey loses vice presidency, Randall retains presidency on Wauwatosa School Board (1)
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 7
- Wauwatosa alderman proposes cutting four seats on Common Council
- Wauwatosa's Lady in Red reopens as Nikki's Boutique after remodel
- 'Tarzan' takes flight at Wauwatosa East
- Tosa Recreation Dept. to hold textile recycling event
- Exactly 175 years ago, Wauwatosa became a town (3)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 30
- Milwaukee teens charged for armed robbery in Mayfair bathroom