The owner of Mayfair Title Corp. got a surprise when he checked up on a financial discrepancy: An employee had allegedly embezzled over $80,000 from the company.
According to the police report:
The owner was reviewing the company's finances when he found a discrepancy, which he reported to the financial director, a 42-year-old Greenfield woman.
The owner became suspicious after the financial director couldn't explain the discrepancy. Looking deeper into the company's finances, the owner found more discrepancies. Checks were being made out to a mortgage company and to a woman he didn't know.
The woman turned out to be the financial director's sister. The owner believes the mortgage company holds the financial director's mortgage.
The report said the financial director confessed to the embezzlement when the owner confronted her with the evidence he gathered and said she would help him gather the data. She hasn't returned to the office since. She was terminated by Mayfair Title.
Mayfair Title receives its money from a third-party organization. The financial director would enter inflated rates in the ledger and draw from the difference with the checks, according to the report.
Police are looking for the financial director.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (8)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes