The owner of Mayfair Title Corp. got a surprise when he checked up on a financial discrepancy: An employee had allegedly embezzled over $80,000 from the company.
According to the police report:
The owner was reviewing the company's finances when he found a discrepancy, which he reported to the financial director, a 42-year-old Greenfield woman.
The owner became suspicious after the financial director couldn't explain the discrepancy. Looking deeper into the company's finances, the owner found more discrepancies. Checks were being made out to a mortgage company and to a woman he didn't know.
The woman turned out to be the financial director's sister. The owner believes the mortgage company holds the financial director's mortgage.
The report said the financial director confessed to the embezzlement when the owner confronted her with the evidence he gathered and said she would help him gather the data. She hasn't returned to the office since. She was terminated by Mayfair Title.
Mayfair Title receives its money from a third-party organization. The financial director would enter inflated rates in the ledger and draw from the difference with the checks, according to the report.
Police are looking for the financial director.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11
- Business Notes: Feb. 11
- Fat Tuesday: How Wauwatosa celebrated
- Wauwatosa George Webb employee tricked into giving away $1,000
- Tosa officers return to work following police-involved shooting