Disc Man in Wauwatosa to close Dec. 28; furniture store to move in
Inventory will be half-off through store's closure
Disc Man, at 6008 W. North Ave., will close its doors for good Dec. 28, owner Dale Darling said this week.
"We're just going out of business," Darling said. Sales are "almost non-existent."
Disc Man bought and sold CDs, DVDs, vinyl and VHS, both used and new releases.
Darling said he had one other remaining employee.
"Now I get to join the market of finding a job," he said.
Everything in the store is 50 percent off until the closing date.
The store opened in 1997 and his current lease is month to month, Darling said.
Alderman Bobby Pantuso, whose 5th District includes the east end of North Avenue, chalked up the closure to changing times.
"When's the last time you bought a CD?" he asked. "That whole business model - when Blockbuster was starting to fail, and ultimately closed last year, places like Disc Man are too far behind the times."
Digital sales of movies and music have taken over.
"It's just the world changing," Pantuso said.
The corner of North and 60th was an important one to Tosa - an entry point to the city, the alderman said.
Jim Petersen, owner of the building, said a new furniture business - The Furniture Company - will be moving in this January. He said he would be involved in the outlet.
Petersen said he was the founder and original owner of Disc Man.
"Obviously online sales have been eroding the CD market for quite some time," he said. "It's kind of amazing that he's lasted this long."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)