A dad who allegedly showed up at his son's Wauwatosa school intoxicated is facing a felony charge of driving drunk for the fifth time.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Brian Keating, 38, of Milwaukee is accused of parking his truck illegally at 100th Street and Glendale Avenue at 3:26 p.m. Nov. 29 and stumbling across the lawn to Madison Elementary School. He briefly spoke to his 5-year-old son, but school staff sent the boy back to a classroom when they realized his father appeared dirty and disheveled and smelled of alcohol.
School officials called police and the boy's mother believing the father was drunk.
When officers arrived, Keating couldn't recall why he had shown up at the school and insisted the boy's mother must have driven him. She came to the school shortly afterward and said the father typically picks the boy up from school but he has had issues with alcohol.
Keating told officers he had drunk a six-pack of beer at home that afternoon. He had receipts on him that also showed he had stopped at a bar to drink and play dice. Later, police learned he had taken sleeping pills and the pain killer hydrocodone.
This arrest was not only his fifth for drunken driving, but his third for driving after his license had been revoked. He is facing a misdemeanor charge for that violation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa students hit same average ACT score as last year
- Wauwatosa health department addresses residents' 'excessive' drinking
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest; Aug. 21
- News and Notes: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Construction underway on Hart Park Pavilion
- Wauwatosa pastor defends political speech in federal court case
- Band Blast Off gives beginner musicians a boost
- Terminated Wauwatosa firefighters still fighting for disability benefits
- Ask Now: What's happening with three businesses on North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa columnist Peggy Dean, in her own words