The Milwaukee County Zoo has announced the arrival of two jaguar cubs.
These are the first jaguar cubs displayed at the zoo since 1975, according to a statement.
The cubs were born here Nov. 13 to Stella, and father Pat. They are nursing, sleeping and "even hissing and scratching," according to the statement. They will be visible to the public via video feed, any time the zoo is open, said spokeswoman Jennifer Diliberti. See the Milwaukee County Zoo jaguar cam here.
"We always wait a few weeks to announce a significant birth to make certain that the cubs are viable and healthy, and that the mother is taking proper care of them," she said.
The cubs will nurse until they are 5 or 6 months old, and will sample meat at about 5 weeks of age.
The zoo said the birth is significant in that the cubs' father, Pat, is a rescued, wild-born jaguar and "considered a founder to the population."
"Pat now only brings new genes to the captive jaguar population, but serves as an ambassador to the wild population and to the conservation of the species," according to the statement. Pat is 14 years old.
The cubs will receive their first exams and vaccines at about six weeks of age, and at the same time their sexes will be determines. They both weight less than 6 pounds, but are steadily gaining weight, the zoo said.
The video can be viewed at the Florence Mila Borchert Big Cat Building at the zoo, and will be available on the zoo's web site, milwaukeezoo.org, in early January.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2
- Wauwatosa News IQ: June 25