In an example of a Craigslist.com transaction gone wrong, a 53-year-old Hartford man reported that an unidentified man drove away with his 2004 Audi, valued at $8,000, during a test drive after the two met about 7 p.m. Jan. 30 in the parking lot of Target, 3900 N. 124th St.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The two agreed to meet at the lot because the potential buyer lived on Milwaukee's East Side.
The owner accompanied the man as he test drove the vehicle on several roads, including Capitol Drive, North Avenue and Highway 45.
Stopped on the Swan extension near Watertown Plank Road and Highway 45, the driver asked the owner to drive, saying he wanted to "listen" to the vehicle from the back seat while it was being driven.
When the owner got out of the passenger seat, the driver took off.
Police say a suspect has been identified and that charges related to multiple vehicle thefts and parts selling are pending.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service
- Wauwatosa's city clerk works to put poll workers in place for spring election
- Three more seek seats on Wauwatosa Common Council