Kim Jenkins and Penny Stark opened their new store in Wauwatosa in April, but you won't find anything new for sale … and that's a good thing.
Twirly Birds, 7532A W. State St., sells vintage finds, one-of-a-kind, handcrafted items and charming repurposed treasures that make the home warm and inviting.
Shoppers will find a variety of vintage and refurbished items such as furniture, mirrors, picture frames, fine China, pottery and other hard-to-find pieces. The items on sale at Twirly Birds are a mixture of hand-made pieces from Jenkins and Stark's collection, as well as things obtained from estate sales and other sources.
The two women, who have been friends for the past 13 years and share a passion for decorating, previously sold their items at local craft fairs. But for the past few years they've kept an eye on the 400 square-foot State Street store as a possible location if they ever decided to open a business. So when the location opened up late last year, they decided to take the leap and open Twirly Birds.
"For both Kim and I, this was the right time to give Twirly Birds a go," Stark said. "Our children are a little older now, which gives us the extra time to invest here. So far, the reaction from the community has been wonderful. We haven't had a disappointing month."
Twirly Birds is an occasional store, which means it is open only on select and varying days throughout the month. Every couple of sales, the women change up displays and merchandise as a way to offer new pieces to customers. And with the holiday season right around the corner, the store and its merchandise will have a Christmas theme later this month.
Twirly Birds will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 15, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 17, noon to 8 p.m. Dec. 1, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Dec. 2, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 3, noon to 8 p.m. Dec. 8, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 9, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 10, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 13, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 15, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 20, The store is also open by appointment.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Twirly Birds
ADDRESS: 7532A W. State St.
PHONE: (414) 429-2548 or (414) 573-9845
OWNER: Kim Jenkins and Penny Stark
TYPE OF BUSINESS: vintage and handcrafted items
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Business Spotlight: The Lutheran Home & Harwood Place
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Business Spotlight: Running a remodeling company no strain in family-owned business
- Business Spotlight: The Malt Shoppe isn't selling milk shakes
- Midtown Dental Care is 'home-like' for new and long-term patients
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Gigi's satisfies even the biggest craving for cupcakes
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Business Spotlight: Milwaukee Map surveys the world from a small store near you
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight Yoga instructor practiced the art before it was all the rage
- Business Spotlight: Alfa Flower shop weathered some tough years, and has flourished in the economic
- The wheel of life keeps rolling at Johnson's bike store
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bridgetown Framing Gallery
- Wauwatosa's Harwood Hair makes styling about more than hair
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Arte Wine & Painting Studio