Alert neighbors help catch alleged Wauwatosa burglars
Police find missing property from earlier burglary during call
A concerned neighbor may have led police to alleged burglars while stopping another burglary.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A Wauwatosa woman was walking her dog when she saw two men walking around backyards in the 2100 block of North 64th Street at 11:02 a.m. Friday. Having walked her dog nearly every day down that block for years and not recognizing the two men, she called police.
Other strange events aroused the suspicion of neighbors. One woman had her doorbell ring twice, which she didn't answer. Her back door opened a few minutes later and, thinking it was her son, she called his name and the door quickly closed. A man in the neighborhood had his doorbell rung and he noticed a man circling around the back while he went to answer. "Is Marcus there?" asked a man later identified as one of the alleged prowlers. The man said no and closed the door.
Police conducted a quick search, revealing the two men. Police questioned them and came to learn that the men, both from Milwaukee and ages 19 and 20, had some items of interest on them. One had two iPods on him, one with a woman's name engraved on it.
A woman with the same name was the victim of a burglary of her home in the 2300 block of North 68th Street between 2:30 p.m. Jan. 10 and 1:55 p.m. Jan. 11. A window was smashed and $2,800 of electronics were taken, including an iPod with her name engraved on it.
When asked what they were doing in the neighborhood, the two said they were looking for a girl's home but couldn't find it.
The 20-year-old had a warrant for probation violation. The 19-year-old has been arrested by Wauwatosa police before.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2