As the Plan Commission meets tonight to consider plans for a new East Tosa bakery, a new Alterra Café and an indoor children's playground, Community Development Director Nancy Welch will not be in attendance to provide background and guidance on the proposed projects.
Welch no longer works for the city, City Administrator James Archambo said in a letter to city staff and officials.
"By mutual agreement, she has been permanently laid off in anticipation of restructuring the position," he said. "I sincerely wish her well and have signed a positive letter of reference for her."
Archambo has divvied up her duties on an interim basis: building maintenance functions have been assigned to Public Works Director Bill Porter, while planning and building inspection work will be under the leadership of Economic Development Director Paulette Enders.
The city administrator plans to present to the Employee Relations Committee his longer-term plans for restructuring the city's development functions, possibly as soon as Tuesday.
The decision to restructure the department was made to address budgetary concerns. For 2012, the city has eliminated 11 positions, almost all through attrition. A $1.25 million budget gap is projected for 2013, and Archambo said he is already planning ways to reduce that number.
Meanwhile, the Plan Commission will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. tonight at City Hall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police use stolen iPad to track suspected thief
- Kari Miller leaves Wauwatosa Chamber of Commerce
- Wisconsin Lutheran College proposes selling homes now used for student housing (1)
- C.A.R.I.N.G. group continues donations to schools
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 2
- Wauwatosa News & Notes: March 26
- In Wauwatosa, 'Coffee with Cop' opens dialogue
- New Braille menus at Wauwatosa restaurants ease dining experience for blind customers
- Security officer at San Camillo in Wauwatosa charged in child pornography case
- Author Larson makes Wauwatosa Public Library Leadership luncheon a literary affair