The Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District's commission on Monday approved paying $500,000 of the cost of lining private sanitary sewer laterals at 135 homes in two Wauwatosa neighborhoods.
The work is being done to reduce leaks of storm water into residential laterals that drain to municipal sanitary sewer mains. Excess storm water during heavy rains can fill sewer mains quickly and cause sewage to backup into basements.
Wauwatosa has offered to pay the full cost of lining the laterals as part of a pilot project. Work will be done this summer along three blocks of N. 65th St., from W. North Ave. to W. Clarke St., and two blocks of Eagle St., between N. 80th St. and Wauwatosa Ave.
More than 85% of property owners in the two east side neighborhoods have agreed to participate in the project, Public Works Director Bill Porter said. If the fix keeps a significant volume of storm water out of the sewer mains, the city might recommend this method to homeowners in other neighborhoods.
Cost of the lateral work is estimated at $1.22 million, or $9,000 for each residence.
Wauwatosa also is lining a portion of its public sewer main along Eagle St. before the private lateral work is done. Total cost of work in the two neighborhoods is estimated at $1.5 million.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Through Nazi banner, Wauwatosa man learns of father’s experiences at war
- North Star Music closing after three decades in East Tosa (2)
- Wauwatosa alderman apologizes for using social media during meeting (11)
- LeRoy Butler delivers anti-bullying message at St. Jude the Apostle School in Wauwatosa
- Choice school approved by Wauwatosa planners despite concerns (4)