Wauwatosa police have identified the man found after a fatal house fire on Aug. 18 as the adult son of an elderly woman who escaped the fire.
John Lorentz was found in a room on the second floor of a home in the 1400 block of N. 119th St. where a fire appears to have started early in the morning, according to a report by the Wauwatosa Police Department.
As firefighters made their way upstairs in dense, churning black smoke around 9 a.m., they said they heard what sounded like gunshots and fled downstairs because they thought someone was shooting at them. Authorities later determined that the sounds came from exploding ammunition for several guns, including a shotgun. Investigators found brass from spent shotgun shells on the scene.
Lorentz's mom, 74-year-old Jean L. Lorentz, told police she woke up on the first floor to a loud sound and went to check on her son. She said something seemed to be blocking the door as she tried to get in. When she cracked the door open four to six inches, she heard groaning d and felt intense heat as smoke poured out. She walked downstairs to call the Fire Department and managed to escape the fire.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills (1)
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Wauwatosa Montessori students practice mind-body awareness with help from Growing Minds program
- Exercising eminent domain, Wauwatosa seeks warehouse property for school drop-off site
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Wauwatosa West's We The People team advances to the National Finals in Washington, D.C.