A masked man tried to rob the Citgo gas station at 103rd Street and Bluemound Road on Monday, but a quick-thinking clerk and protective equipment thwarted the crime.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The robber came to the check-out counter with his right hand under his jacket to imply he was armed. He told the clerk: "Give me the money. Give me big bills."
The clerk worked behind bullet-proof glass, but the window was open so he could assist customers.
He quickly took the key from the cash register and slammed the window shut.
The robber reached under and tried to open the window, so the clerk hit the hold-up alarm and ducked behind the counter.
The masked man fled in a vehicle.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Mayfair parking structure to open tonight
- The Malt Shoppe opens Friday in Wauwatosa
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal (1)
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands