Coins were taken from laundry machines in two North Avenue apartment buildings, and pry marks left on the doors of an additional building provided evidence that burglars tried for more.
According to Wauwatosa Police Department reports:
The problems started when more than $100 in coins were taken from two laundry machines in the basement of a building in the 7700 block of North Avenue between 2 p.m. Dec. 6 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 7. Damage to the machines was estimated at $500.
It was soon discovered that a door on a building in the 7900 block had been pried open during the same time frame but nothing appeared missing.
Another door on an apartment building in the 7900 block was forced open between 7 p.m. Dec. 8 and noon Dec. 9. This time a dryer was tipped over and a coin box was removed. Someone also had defecated on the floor.
Two nearby basement storage lockers were entered but it didn't immediately appear anything was missing.
When the police responded, the apartment manager - all the buildings were under the same ownership - said she also discovered fresh pry marks on a door and damage to the lock on another building, this time in the 2300 block of North 80th Street.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School