Coins were taken from laundry machines in two North Avenue apartment buildings, and pry marks left on the doors of an additional building provided evidence that burglars tried for more.
According to Wauwatosa Police Department reports:
The problems started when more than $100 in coins were taken from two laundry machines in the basement of a building in the 7700 block of North Avenue between 2 p.m. Dec. 6 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 7. Damage to the machines was estimated at $500.
It was soon discovered that a door on a building in the 7900 block had been pried open during the same time frame but nothing appeared missing.
Another door on an apartment building in the 7900 block was forced open between 7 p.m. Dec. 8 and noon Dec. 9. This time a dryer was tipped over and a coin box was removed. Someone also had defecated on the floor.
Two nearby basement storage lockers were entered but it didn't immediately appear anything was missing.
When the police responded, the apartment manager - all the buildings were under the same ownership - said she also discovered fresh pry marks on a door and damage to the lock on another building, this time in the 2300 block of North 80th Street.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Developers want city help for Wauwatosa housing project on Underwood Ave.
- Wauwatosa's 10 Days in Tosa is in full swing
- Wauwatosa Plan Commission votes against e-cigarette store
- In retirement, Wauwatosans revive Shakespeare plays