Coins were taken from laundry machines in two North Avenue apartment buildings, and pry marks left on the doors of an additional building provided evidence that burglars tried for more.
According to Wauwatosa Police Department reports:
The problems started when more than $100 in coins were taken from two laundry machines in the basement of a building in the 7700 block of North Avenue between 2 p.m. Dec. 6 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 7. Damage to the machines was estimated at $500.
It was soon discovered that a door on a building in the 7900 block had been pried open during the same time frame but nothing appeared missing.
Another door on an apartment building in the 7900 block was forced open between 7 p.m. Dec. 8 and noon Dec. 9. This time a dryer was tipped over and a coin box was removed. Someone also had defecated on the floor.
Two nearby basement storage lockers were entered but it didn't immediately appear anything was missing.
When the police responded, the apartment manager - all the buildings were under the same ownership - said she also discovered fresh pry marks on a door and damage to the lock on another building, this time in the 2300 block of North 80th Street.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19