Church and Chapel wants to open a funeral home in the building that now serves as Unity West Church.
The congregation has downsized, so after 30 years in the building at 4750 N. Mayfair Road, "We are going to be moving someplace smaller," said Russell Grant, Unity West's board president.
Church and Chapel is in negotiations to buy the property and, if successful, plans to make improvements to the parking lot and landscaping, said Dave Larsen, company representative.
The business plans to conduct funeral and interment services at the site and any preparatory functions such as embalming and cremating would be done at Church and Chapel's headquarters in Brookfield, he said.
Customers would come to make funeral arrangements, attend services in the chapel and hold funeral luncheons in the basement.
Regardless, neighbor Acquanitta Patterson said she's not happy about the plans.
"I'm not comfortable with a funeral home behind my house," she told the city Plan Commission on Monday.
Commissioner Jody Lowe said she could appreciate that it might not be the preferred choice for a neighbor but she supports the project.
"This is a natural part of life and is a service needed in the community and one that we will increasingly need," she said.
The rest of the commission agreed, voting unanimously to support the project. A public hearing will be held before the Common Council on July 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Notes: Aug. 7
- Woman leaves dog in hot car, charged with animal cruelty
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new math requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drivers