Incumbent Alderwoman Jacqueline Jay lost her seat representing Wauwatosa's 3rd District to Greg Walz-Chojnacki tonight by only 18 votes.
The vote total, according to unofficial results Tuesday:
Greg Walz-Chojnacki 746
Jacqueline Jay 728
Election results remain unofficial until they are certified by the board of canvassers, which Wednesday, after press deadline.
Walz-Chojnacki, 57, has not held public office but he's been involved with Grassroots Tosa, a group that calls itself "progressive" and which has organized protests of Gov. Scott Walker's legislation regarding the state budget and collective bargaining.
He said a different stand on power line placement than his opponent may have won him some votes. He said he supports a resolution by the Common Council that calls for burying the lines and limiting where they can be placed. The resolution came after outcry from the residents who worried about health, aesthetic and environmental impacts of power lines in their neighborhoods and green spaces.
Jay voted against the resolution saying she needed to stand behind the businesses in her district that are driving the need for power on the County Grounds.
She couldn't immediately be reached for comment.
Walz-Chojnacki credited Jay for her service on the council since 2008.
He said his first priority when he takes office in two weeks would be to work with the city and the state to mitigate traffic problems related to the upcoming Zoo Interchange reconstruction.
"There's going to be traffic spillover and people in our district are already dealing with drivers taking shortcuts through neighborhoods. We have to make sure our roads are not abused during that time," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: From a personal quest to a rug store in Tosa
- Meijer to open in Wauwatosa Tuesday
- Fire crews battle flames at Sherwin-Williams Paint Store (1)
- Wauwatosa police search for armed bank robbery suspect
- Tosa letters to the editor: Destination Imagination
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Aug. 6
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 10
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)