The new LEGO store at Mayfair is the stuff dreams are made of - well, if your dreams are made of red and yellow bricks two studs across and four studs long.
That's the standard size for LEGOs, explained Amanda Santoro, a spokeswoman for the Denmark-based company. But building blocks of all sizes and colors are now available since the store opened May 11.
In-store raffles and giveaways will run through May 13. In the center of the mall, kids also can help a master builder assemble an 8-foot LEGO version of SpongeBob SquarePants as part of the weekend-long grand opening.
Planners have been building toward the event for almost a year, although construction of the first LEGO store in Wisconsin began only about seven weeks ago.
Since then, a team of 10 to 20 employees has been preparing to welcome children (and more than a few nostalgic adults) into play zones like the "Living Room" and the "Pick-A-Brick Wall."
"It's a little different experience than what you find in a normal toy store," Santoro said.
In this store, LEGO lovers can play with loose bricks or build models in the "Living Room," an interactive play area in the center of the store.
Or, kids can visit the store's television screen wall, where scanning a bar code on your favorite toy will lead to an on-screen surprise.
"It's in 3-D," Santoro explained. "Some of them are animated. So, if you have a Pirates of the Caribbean ship, you'll see little pirate running around."
If an entire wall of LEGOs is more your speed, then you can visit the "Pick-A-Brick Wall," where kids can select their favorite pieces sorted by color and size.
"You can pick anything you want, and you pay per weight like a bulk candy purchase," Santoro said.
Once each month, the store will host a themed build. Children ages 5 to 14 can participate in the mini-model building program. When they're done, they get to take their creations home for free.
"No purchase necessary," Santoro said.
Just bring your imagination.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: LEGO store at Mayfair Mall, 2500 N. Mayfair Road
TYPE OF BUSINESS: toy store
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says
- Platinum Salon relies on intimate, family atmosphere
- Tosa Wine & Spirits staff enjoys its new home
- Move to massage therapy good for the soul, Parlour owner says
- Designing durable landscapes a way of life for Tosa man
- Mobility store says it puts client needs before profit
- Birth center offers health services for whole family
- Standing the test of time
- Duo helps families choose assisted-living care right for them
- Filament shines light on home furnishing needs
- Optometrist's daughter sells children's glasses in Wauwatosa
- Tasting room appeals to wine afficianados, corporate planners
- Hot dog! Business venture helps teen learn value of a dollar
- As threats to trees increase, company prides itself on smart approach
- Former realtor now librarian at Christian Science Reading Room
- Proactive approach to health helps keep need for medicine at bay
- Steinway Piano Gallery celebrates gift of music
- Couple turns printing start-up in Wauwatosa into family business