As part of the company's plans to shut down a Georgia facility and consolidate its manufacturing operations, Briggs & Stratton Corp. announced July 10 it will be hiring 220 full-time workers and 150 seasonal workers at its Wauwatosa facility at 3300 N. 124th St.
After the transition in early 2015, the Wauwatosa facility will be producing pressure washers, tractors and snow throwers. The Journal Sentinel reported the company will not have to expand the plant's footprint.
Alderman Craig Wilson, whose district includes the facility, said the new jobs could only mean good things for Wauwatosa, even if they don't all go to local residents.
"It will get more people familiar with Tosa, and maybe they'll decide to buy lunch in town," Wilson said. "Beyond that, one thing we're getting better at is helping foster that culture of a strong business community."
Wilson said city officials have in the past considered different visions for this more industrial area of Wauwatosa. Redevelopment there could bring a higher density of property value and therefore more tax revenue.
"There's a tremendous amount of industrial space and I think we all know those spaces aren't used the way they used to be," Wilson said. "It's something we need to keep an eye on."
Although the infusion of jobs does not bring a change in use or property value, Wilson said he still thought it would be a valuable move for the community.
"This is even better, in a sense," Wilson said. "Sure we have budgeting and levy issues, but at the same time, any time you have a local business trying to grow, it certainly benefits the community and reputation of Tosa."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 13
- Meijer announces opening date in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa to participate in "Click It or Ticket" enforcement
- Tosa East student completes leadership program at Yale University
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (3)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa