How often are Wauwatosa streets swept?
Issue: A reader is wondering about the city's street cleaning schedule.
Status: Public Works Director Bill Porter said the city's street cleaning operation, which covers about 370 miles of curbs and medians, began this week and will continue into fall. It operates in seven cycles, with each taking about two to four weeks to complete.
"This week, we started with two shifts of cleaning to get everything left from winter," Porter said. "We want to get started as early as possible to get the city looking good. After this first cycle, we go back to a single shift."
With the first cleaning cycle deploying two shifts, the city can coordinate between main and side streets to minimize traffic obstruction. Otherwise, night-shift cleaning is the norm thanks to the city's ban on overnight street parking.
The start of the first cleaning shift is dictated by how long the winter lingers, Porter said. Ideally, gutters are free of ice and temperatures are above freezing.
"Last year, we were able to start in mid-March because it was so warm," he said. "This year, we had to wait a little longer."
Porter said the cleaning schedule also takes into account leaf cleanup due to tar spot or other issues that cause early leaf loss.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?
- Ask NOW: What's happening with the Smoothie Stop building?
- Ask NOW: Loose board on railroad overpass worries reader
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cleaning storm sewer grates?
- Ask NOW: Is there a limit to how many rummage sales one residence can hold?
- Ask NOW: Why are dogs allowed at Hart Park playground?
- Ask NOW: Why did the launch site for Wauwatosa's fireworks move?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the dip at northbound ramp at Highway 45 and Swan Boulevard being fixed?
- Ask NOW: Will the land to the west of the recently completed Hart Park bridge at 70th Street be re-landscaped?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue be repaved and its bridges rebuilt?