How often are Wauwatosa streets swept?
Issue: A reader is wondering about the city's street cleaning schedule.
Status: Public Works Director Bill Porter said the city's street cleaning operation, which covers about 370 miles of curbs and medians, began this week and will continue into fall. It operates in seven cycles, with each taking about two to four weeks to complete.
"This week, we started with two shifts of cleaning to get everything left from winter," Porter said. "We want to get started as early as possible to get the city looking good. After this first cycle, we go back to a single shift."
With the first cleaning cycle deploying two shifts, the city can coordinate between main and side streets to minimize traffic obstruction. Otherwise, night-shift cleaning is the norm thanks to the city's ban on overnight street parking.
The start of the first cleaning shift is dictated by how long the winter lingers, Porter said. Ideally, gutters are free of ice and temperatures are above freezing.
"Last year, we were able to start in mid-March because it was so warm," he said. "This year, we had to wait a little longer."
Porter said the cleaning schedule also takes into account leaf cleanup due to tar spot or other issues that cause early leaf loss.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?