How often are Wauwatosa streets swept?
Issue: A reader is wondering about the city's street cleaning schedule.
Status: Public Works Director Bill Porter said the city's street cleaning operation, which covers about 370 miles of curbs and medians, began this week and will continue into fall. It operates in seven cycles, with each taking about two to four weeks to complete.
"This week, we started with two shifts of cleaning to get everything left from winter," Porter said. "We want to get started as early as possible to get the city looking good. After this first cycle, we go back to a single shift."
With the first cleaning cycle deploying two shifts, the city can coordinate between main and side streets to minimize traffic obstruction. Otherwise, night-shift cleaning is the norm thanks to the city's ban on overnight street parking.
The start of the first cleaning shift is dictated by how long the winter lingers, Porter said. Ideally, gutters are free of ice and temperatures are above freezing.
"Last year, we were able to start in mid-March because it was so warm," he said. "This year, we had to wait a little longer."
Porter said the cleaning schedule also takes into account leaf cleanup due to tar spot or other issues that cause early leaf loss.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?