Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Will the city develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
Issue: A reader wants to know those answers and offered a suggestion.
"Tosa has a very large soccer playing population," he wrote.
Status: Other than a possible skate park, Parks and Forestry Superintendent Ken Walbrant said there are no plans to add recreational facilities. He said the plan has been to develop recreational outlets from 68th Street west.
"East of 68th Street, the land has been designated as passive space," Walbrant said. "If someone is looking for soccer fields, I suppose there is nothing to prevent them from putting up some nets and playing there."
Walbrant offered one caveat, noting that there is a plan to "daylight" — open up — the underground portion of Schoonmaker Creek that runs through that area. He said that may restrict recreational access.
City Engineer Bill Wehrley confirmed the Milwaukee Metropolitian Sewerage District is working on the project. MMSD Senior Project Director Jennifer Wright said the work should be done in early 2015. She said the project will include preserving some space just east of 68th Street.
"When the project is complete, there should be an option for the city to develop that," she said.
Schoonmaker Creek, visible in areas such as the Washington Highlands, currently runs in an underground pipe around 61st Street under the site of the former Sears warehouse and contines on an angle between the railroad tracks and the Menomonee River.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?