Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is planned for the abandoned car dealerships on Burleigh and 112th streets?
Issue: A reader wants to know if the former home of two car dealerships on the south side of Burleigh Street near 112th Street will be redeveloped.
Noting that construction is happening immediately to the east (for the new Meijer Department Store), the reader called the abandoned property "an eyesore." He wrote: "I thought I once heard that Micro Center purchased it. Is that still in the works?"
Status: Micro Center, an Ohio-based electronics retailer with stores in 15 other states, still owns the property. Repeated calls to Mike Papai, the company's vice present of marketing, went unanswered. Papai told NOW in late 2011 that while Micro Center saw Wauwatosa as an attractive location, the store probably would not be built in the near future.
Alderman Jeffrey Roznowski, chairman of the Community Development Committee, agreed.
"My sense is that Micro Center is a fairly conservative business and goes about this in a slow and measured way," Roznowski said.
Roznowski said he is confident the property will be developed, either through an ongoing relationship between city planners and the company or with the city using its Community Development Authority.
He emphasized the economic recovery and the city's approach to business expansion, including the recently opened Mayfair Collection northeast of Burleigh Street and Highway 45.
"It is tremendously important when you are a landlocked community," Roznowski said. In conjunction with Mayfair Mall, this creates an expanded destination."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: How does the Peony Restaurant stay open?
- Ask Now: What is happening to the lagoon area north of Burleigh Street on the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: What does the city earn, or lose, on its recycling program?
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets