Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
Issue: A reader, a resident at the senior residence and care campus, said he has always wondered why the sign, posted about 100 feet south of Bluemound Road would restrict traffic from turning southbound out of the parking lot and heading toward Wisconsin Avenue.
Status: While the reason for this sign is a mystery to a number of city officials as well as San Camillo's leadership, one theory was offered.
Police Lt. Chris Fox said there are many directional signs his department enforces, though they may not always know their origin. In fact, he said the sign apparently is not covered by municipal ordinance, so it is unenforceable.
Ald. Tim Hanson, whose district includes the campus, said he has no idea why the sign is there, except to theorize that 103rd Street residents appealed to the city when the campus was built about 30 years ago.
"That's usually the way those signs get approved and installed," Hanson said. "There's nothing like a new development to generate concern for increased traffic. It doesn't take much, just a couple of people who get support from others."
Public Works Director Bill Porter said that theory makes sense.
"We have an inventory of every sign in the city, but it does not include why the sign was placed," Porter said. "If there is support to change any sign, we can always review that."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?