Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the state patrol stationed on 68th Street near Bluemound?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying, "There's a location on 68th (520 N. 68thSt.) just two houses from the intersection of Bluemound where I see a police vehicle parked, facing traffic, just about 100 percent of the time, almost always manned."
Calling it an odd location to catch speeders from a private driveway, the reader asked, "What circumstances allow the Police Department to station a car on that spot of land?"
Answer: It is a state patrol assigned to the Wauwatosa residence of Gov. Scott Walker. Police presence there dates back to at least 2011, around the time protesters picketed Walker's home after Act 10 was passed. Neighbors alerted Ask NOW in September, 2011, to find out why a patrol was parked at that time in a cul de sac west of 68th Street, directly across from the home. A state dispatcher told us it was for security reasons.
For this latest inquiry, the governor's press secretary, Tom Evenson, directed us to contact his counterpart, Peg Schmitt, at the Department of Transportation. Schmitt declined to answer specific questions, saying further information would "compromise" security.
We then asked Evenson about specific, non-security details such as what the police presence costs Wisconsin taxpayers. He replied, "We don't comment on security-related matters."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are the new lights going in LEDs?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is there a partial brick alley between 102nd and 103rd streets?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is Jennings Park and why does it have a sign?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the building proposed for 2100 N. Mayfair Road ever get under way?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Bluemound Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why won't the city collect trash if a car is parked on the street in front of it?