Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the state patrol stationed on 68th Street near Bluemound?
Issue: A reader wrote to us saying, "There's a location on 68th (520 N. 68thSt.) just two houses from the intersection of Bluemound where I see a police vehicle parked, facing traffic, just about 100 percent of the time, almost always manned."
Calling it an odd location to catch speeders from a private driveway, the reader asked, "What circumstances allow the Police Department to station a car on that spot of land?"
Answer: It is a state patrol assigned to the Wauwatosa residence of Gov. Scott Walker. Police presence there dates back to at least 2011, around the time protesters picketed Walker's home after Act 10 was passed. Neighbors alerted Ask NOW in September, 2011, to find out why a patrol was parked at that time in a cul de sac west of 68th Street, directly across from the home. A state dispatcher told us it was for security reasons.
For this latest inquiry, the governor's press secretary, Tom Evenson, directed us to contact his counterpart, Peg Schmitt, at the Department of Transportation. Schmitt declined to answer specific questions, saying further information would "compromise" security.
We then asked Evenson about specific, non-security details such as what the police presence costs Wisconsin taxpayers. He replied, "We don't comment on security-related matters."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What happened to bank at Pick 'n Save on Mayfair Road?
- Ask Now: Who pays the taxes when a house has been torn down?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are those bird sounds being used as crosswalk signals?
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Ask Now: What is happening with developments near the intersection of Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street?
- Ask Now: Doesn't a residential swimming pool need to be fenced?
- Ask Now: Why is the city fixing sidewalks with asphalt?
- Ask Now: When will 124th Street be reopened?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Ask Now: Is the size and placement of political signs regulated?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is construction on Mayfair Road taking so long?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Ask Now: How to stop medical center employees from smoking on nearby streets
- Ask Now: Why is Pocket Park in such tough shape?
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?