Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why was a cul de sac built
near Capitol and Lisbon?
Issue:A city reader wants to know the "reasoning" behind the new cul de sac built just a block from the Wauwatosa border, near Capitol Drive and Lisbon Avenue. He worries it might confuse drivers traveling through this busy area.
Status: The project — intended to improve the safety of traffic merging at Capitol Drive, Lisbon Avenue and 100th Street — was completed by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and directed by Milwaukee in cooperation with Wauwatosa.
DOT spokesman Michael Pyritz and Milwaukee Alderman Jim Bohl said the new access road and cul de sac is meant to alleviate dangerous driving due to high traffic speeds and multiple turnoffs into businesses and a multifamily residence.
"Traffic coming from the west in particular was dangerous because vehicles slowed down to turn," Bohl said.
Milwaukee's Department of Public Works released a written response to the question, noting the "revised configuration significantly simplified navigation through the intersection, which was complex for drivers and pedestrians alike."
The communication said the old intersection configuration did not fully accommodate school traffic on 100th Street.
The new configuration will reduce the number of traffic signals.
"The previous operation," the DPW statement said, "required four signals and large curves in the eastbound lands of West Capitol Drive as well as a very wide median at West Capitol Drive and North 100th Street. This led to driver confusion and some red light running and failure-to-yield crashes."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?