Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why does the city charge local schools for the use of Hart Park facilities?
Issue:A reader wonders why schools have to pay a fee to use Hart Park's facilities, and why the city charges "so much."
Status: City officials said there is a rental fee charged for Hart Park facilities — including the stadium and concession stand along with baseball diamonds and tennis courts — used by local schools or other groups because the park budget is separate from the city budget.
Superintendent of Parks, Recreation and Forestry Ken Walbrant and his boss, Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, said fees are charged to cover the costs of regular maintenance of the facilities as well as to develop a funding source for larger capital improvements. For example, the artificial stadium turf that is specially laid out for a variety sports is scheduled to be replaced within the next 10 years. They anticipate the cost to be between $750,000 and $1 million.
"The regular maintenance requires labor and equipment, so that factors into our costs and therefore the rental fees," Walbrant said.
Stadium rentals generate about $125,000 annually, he said.
Rental costs and potential revenue from concessions vary depending on many factors, said Mary Clare Schuller, who handles the rental contracts.
"It's a complicated formula based on who is renting, the specific facilities rented and the length of time of the rental," she said.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Will "The 2100?" ever be built?
- Ask Now: July 3
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa develop more recreational land at Hart Park and along the Menomonee River?
- Ask Now: How will Mayfair accommodate parking with its expansion?
- Ask Now: What types of apartments are under construction on River's Bend Lane in Wauwatosa?
- Ask Now: Why the no-right-turn sign on 103rd Street across from San Camillo?
- Ask NOW: Are local LED lights in signs regulated?
- Ask NOW: Why aren't there turn signals at intersection of Wauwatosa and Milwaukee?
- Ask NOW: Will the abandoned car lots on Burleigh and 112th be developed?
- Ask NOW: When will the Hoyt Park beer garden open?
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?