Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
Issue: A Twitter user wrote to us wondering why someone "tore down that sweet, old farmhouse on Milwaukee Avenue" near Wauwatosa East High School.
Status: The 1,400-square-foot home that stood just east of the Wauwatosa Woman's Club headquarters at the southeast corner of Milwaukee Street and Wauwatosa Avenue was purchased and razed by the club. The organization intends to turn the land into an expanded parking lot, doubling its current 17 spaces.
The project got a 3-3 vote at the Plan Commission to change the zoning from residential to business. A public hearing will be held at the Nov. 5 Common Council meeting before it goes to the Community Development Committee. A final vote could occur at the Nov. 19 Common Council meeting.
Tammy Szudy, the city's principal planner in the Planning and Zoning Division, said because neighbors protested the project, a state statute kicks in that requires a three-fourths approval by the council.
Woman's Club President Susan McTavish said the organization purchased the property after being approached by the seller. The club needs parking, and it also will benefit area churches and schools.
"We have had a great relationship with our community," McTavish said, noting that the club has a parking reciprocation agreement with neighboring organizations.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?
- Ask NOW: Why do the schools have to rent Hart Park facilities?
- Ask NOW: What is happening at boarded up home?
- Ask NOW: What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
- Ask NOW: What does the historical society do with donated items?
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: What is the story behind vacant Colony Camera building in Wauwatosa?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?