Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
Issue: A Twitter user wrote to us wondering why someone "tore down that sweet, old farmhouse on Milwaukee Avenue" near Wauwatosa East High School.
Status: The 1,400-square-foot home that stood just east of the Wauwatosa Woman's Club headquarters at the southeast corner of Milwaukee Street and Wauwatosa Avenue was purchased and razed by the club. The organization intends to turn the land into an expanded parking lot, doubling its current 17 spaces.
The project got a 3-3 vote at the Plan Commission to change the zoning from residential to business. A public hearing will be held at the Nov. 5 Common Council meeting before it goes to the Community Development Committee. A final vote could occur at the Nov. 19 Common Council meeting.
Tammy Szudy, the city's principal planner in the Planning and Zoning Division, said because neighbors protested the project, a state statute kicks in that requires a three-fourths approval by the council.
Woman's Club President Susan McTavish said the organization purchased the property after being approached by the seller. The club needs parking, and it also will benefit area churches and schools.
"We have had a great relationship with our community," McTavish said, noting that the club has a parking reciprocation agreement with neighboring organizations.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?
- Ask Now: Will the city fix 68th Street between State Street and Milwaukee Avenue?
- Ask Now: Why is there snow on the sidewalk on a stretch along Potter Road?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will North Avenue west of Mayfair Road be fixed?
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?